Our history
The Order of Our Lady of Charity of the Good Shepherd was founded in France in 1835 by Saint Maria Euphrasia Pelletier. She was born on July 31, 1796 in France. She was gifted with a deep love for humanity and she adored every human being in their uniqueness. The socially marginalized young girls and women of her time found in her a loving mother and teacher. By the time of her death on April 24, 1868, she had planted 110 communities around the world, including one in India in 1854.
The Sisters of the Good Shepherd entered the Order in Bangalore on August 14, 1854 to witness to the merciful love of our Good Shepherd through their ministries of reconciliation.
Five decades ago they have taken as their target groups in all their services more consciously, namely the Dalits and tribals, the disadvantaged and the marginalized and the women. So they started small churches in rural areas. They had initiated the integrated development of Dalits and tribal people through education, health care and the formation of self-help groups.
